There’s nothing like frantic, last-minute holiday shopping to remind one about the importance of conserving energy. So, in keeping with that theme, we invite you to consider buying an eco-friendly gift this year for friends and loved ones. The energy saved will put more money in their pockets and help save our planet.
To get you started, we’ve made a list of five energy-saving gift ideas:
- Home electricity monitor. This money saver allows you to track the electricity usage of various appliances, lights and devices in your home. Simply connect it to your home’s electricity panel, and you’ll get a breakdown of how much each is costing you. The data is sent directly to your mobile device, such as a smartphone or tablet.
- Smart thermostat. One option, the Nest Learning Thermostat, can program itself based on your patterns and preferences. The Nest can save as much as 15 percent off your heating and cooling bills. Eligible Infinite Energy customers can get one at a discount through your service with us. Contact us for more information!
- Thermal leak detector. Buttoning up your home is essential to saving energy and cutting costs. But it’s not always easy to know where those air leaks and drafts are coming from. A thermal leak detector will help you pinpoint those problem areas so they can be addressed.
- Solar-powered reading lamp. These lamps, totally sun powered, are a great way to cut down on costs when you want to do a little late-night reading. Leave them in a sunny place during the day, and you’re ready to go when the sun dips below the horizon. Some models come with a USB port, too, which will let you charge your phone in an emergency.
- Pressure cooker. This handy item allows you to cook food using about 70 percent less energy than you would with typical pots and pans. And pressure cookers are fast, cooking food in a fraction of the time more traditional methods take. They work by trapping steam and internal pressure and heat to cook foods such as rice or beans. Pressure cookers, which also tend to preserve more of the nutrients in food, can cook just about anything that would normally be steamed or cooked by water-based liquids.